A birth injury is not something inherited but rather an injury that occurs due to some event during pregnancy or childbirth.
An estimated 10,000 babies are diagnosed with cerebral palsy yearly due to medical mistakes. Cerebral palsy, including the symptoms of spasticity and spastic diplegia, can be caused by the brain damage that occurs when a baby is deprived of oxygen during delivery.
Cerebral palsy and other types of brain injuries are often due to infants being put at risk such as:
- Excessive use of vacuum extraction
- Improper use of forceps
- Failure to recognize signs of fetal distress
- Failure to order a timely C-section
- Failure to act on dangerous fetal heart rate fluctuations
- Failure of timely treatment for meningitis or jaundice
- Failure to treat a prolapsed cord
- Improperly administered medications
- Negligence in monitoring and treating newborns
Other types of traumatic birth injury include:
- Perinatal asphyxia
- Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy
- Erb’s palsy or brachial plexus palsy
- Klumpke’s palsy
- Shoulder dystocia
- Spinal cord trauma
- Intracranial hemorrhage
- Neonatal seizure
Birth injury claims begin with a medical professional’s opinion that supports your case and the facts showing the negligent physician failed to treat the infant within established standards of care. Then, before a lawsuit can be filed, an experienced birth injury attorney investigates the circumstances of the injury, identifies potential defendants and gathers other information necessary to support your case, including forensic support.
If you suspect this is happening to you or anyone you know, contact us at Castel & Hall, LLP. Here we can ensure that the guilty party faces the correct repercussions and gets compensation for the victims. Knowing all your options and vital to making the right decisions when facing legal actions. Here, we can inform you of all your options, and together, we can take care of whatever you need.